Monday, January 24, 2011

Shot Through the Heart

Last night I received an email from my aunt asking for prayers for a friend of hers.  Her friend's 18 year old son had been missing overnight, and they had been informed that he had left 2 suicide notes with friends.  Tonight we received a follow up from my aunt that they found what they believe to be his body (or remains) and pending DNA confirmation, a devastated family of (now) 4 will have bury their son/brother.

I don't know these people.  I have never met them, I have never heard their names, but I grieve for them tonight.  I have been so blessed in my life to have never been directly impacted by the suicide of a loved one, but I have been indirectly impacted a few times, and it's never easy.  I have no idea what this boy's situation was, I have no concept of what drove him to act so selfishly (I'm sorry, in my opinion suicide is always selfish... some cases it may be more justified than others, but it is always selfish), but I absolutely am devastated for his family... he left behind shell shocked parents, an older brother (21) and a younger brother (7).  I cannot begin to image the pain and terror this family will have to process over the rest of their lives, or how they will find the strength to pull what's left of their family together to get through this horror.

I have very few outlets to deal with the way these things impact me, especially when they are so indirect... so here's my outlet for tonight.  Healing and Harmony to all those touched by the loss of this life... and an outpouring of love and affirmations to anyone who may be struggling with thoughts of suicide themselves... there is help out there, and no matter how much you may feel no one cares, or that you are too much of a burden to those you love... I promise you that you're wrong.  Find the help, hold out your hand and let those who love you see you through the darkness.  Please don't punish them this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment