Friday, March 4, 2011

Your favorite teacher.

This one is even easier than the "photo of me without makeup" subject!  My favourite teacher of all time was Mr. Tirolese (Mr. T as we usually called him) in Grade Four.  He's Italian, plays guitar and has a great sense of humour.  I do not recall why I knew I wanted him as my teacher that year, but I remember that I emphatically did, and when we went to school on the first day, his line was the first one I went to, desperately hoping my name would be on his roster.  He turned around and my parents introduced themselves, and he looked right at me and said something along the lines of "yes! Rachel! You're part of us!" I was elated!  That year ended up being a difficult year for me as it was the year my family found out we would be moving to the Netherlands.  My folks left for 2 weeks for a go-see trip, and I bawled my eyes out in the hallway.  Mr T helped calm me down then gave me things to work on that morning that would let me stay out of the mainstream while I pulled myself together.

Mr. Tirolese was awesome at keeping in touch with me over the years, and has become a good friend.  In fact, he and his wife attended my wedding last year, and over the holidays my family and I were able to stay with them on our way up to celebrate the van Rossum family Christmas in Cambridge.  It's been awesome having such a great role model in my life who has also become a good friend.  Best. Teacher. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment